Wednesday, September 15, 2010

London. Day 1.

I'm sitting in my dorm room, trying not to touch the walls or carpet, wishing I hadn't left my flip-flops at home, and dreading the bathroom shower. It's what I suspect new guests must feel like after entering a hotel room previously occupied by Scotty.

Today I woke up in Copenhagen, flew to London, and was carted to my dorm. Clayhill.
Took a brief tour with the care giver Larry, or Gary...something that rhymes with Mary.
Sat in my room for a bit and hooked up my phone chord internet. Tried to cry.
Reported significant mud stains and wall dirt in my room...forgot to add the nasty chair that looks like it spent too much time in a pediatrician's waiting room. That's tomorrow.
Took a walk to buy toilet paper and see what was close by.
There's nothing close by.
Hit on by a few drunk guys while asking how to get to a grocery store.
Scared a 2nd grade school boy while asking how to get to a grocery store.
Found a grocery store after walking for an hour having already visited every convenient store on the way.
Cursed my stupid diet every time I passed the Cadberry/Haribo lining the shelves...counting down the days.
Bought toilet paper, detergent, air freshener and grapes.
Got lost following the smell of the KFC and had to stop into a small hotel to ask for directions.
Wandered the neighborhoods of Kingston.
Came home 2 hours after I left and made my way back to my room through my 3-key entrance.
Discovered it's a 20 minute walk to my campus--not advertised as such...
Found out there's a 25 year old biochemist and a 40 year old Nigerian mom of three on my floor.
Trying to avoid socializing with 25/40.
Gagging to the smell of the 'lilly of the valley' air freshener I just opened up to get the musty smell out.
Slipped on my floor to find they already came in to shampoo the mud out-bless Terry's? heart.
Mud's still there. Starting to think it might be something else.
Watched Harry Potter 1, 2, & 6 to try and cheer me up about London.
Not unpacking tonight. Hopefully I can trade rooms.
Tomorrow should be better.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the kids books you churn out. That was the most depressing post/picture combo ever. I'm telling you, just get out of your contract and go find a place with some members. Sounds like you have enough justification to get out regardless of the deposit deadline crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't happen. I'm locked in for a year--we'll see how it is when I move in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picture queer. resembles your passport picture where it looks 98 percent positive you're about to cry. mar, you'll make the place cute like you always do if you can't get out of it. everyone's very jealous of you, so just keep that in mind. even more so now that michael and i realized you're going to be there for hp7, deathly hallows part 1. we love and miss you SO freakin much mary. keep us all updated PLEASE; do better than i did :)
    p.s. baxter says herro

    ReplyDelete