day I decided that I needed to see Kensington Palace at Katie's suggestion.I took a train to Paddington Station--but must've gone the wrong way, cause I ended up in the total maze of the Paddington tube system...which is not as charming or full of bears as the station is said to be.
Disillusioned and without Paddington souvenir, I continued
onto Hyde Park and enjoyed the fountains, statues, and uncharacteristic warm weather. The Peter Pan statue was my favorite--until I hit the Albert Memorial. It sits across the street from Royal Albert Hall and is 165 feet high, dedicated to Prince Albert and his "devotion to the public good."I tried to squeeze my head into a picture, but that thing is HUGE! (the memorial...not my head...)
Kensington Palace was a walk away, and when I got there, I realized most of it was under construction. (Lots of that going around right now due to the 2012 Olympics)
However, I wa
s able to see parts of the palace in this special tour/interactive art exhibit/haunted house they were putting on.It was pretty weird and fun, and artistically interesting.
The whole exhibit was designed to represent the 7 princesses who have lived there and most of their stories were pretty sad.
I also saw the Orangery which has been turned into a tea restaurant
on the grounds--but didn't have time to sit down. Next visit for sure.I walked along the streets on my way to Victoria Station, finding science and art museums that I've made a mental note to visit when I return.
My feet hurt too much to tour another museum! Although, when I came upon Harrods, I made myself go in and eventually got lost.
SO many flo
ors and stores and bears--Emily would've died!I will head back on Saturday I think--got to get some birthday presents!
When I arrived home, my feet fell off.
Later that night, I found that Sister Winn had arrived.
We chatted a bit and I visited her briefly. She's really sweet and kind of funny/fanatical.
But she adores Harry Potter, so it will be nice to have somebody to go see that with!
Now I'm off to my induction events. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment