Today I went into London with Sis Winn.She'd never been before and was dying to see the Tower of London, so I went along and re-took the tour.
I was afraid I'd be bored, but found that there were lots of places in the tower I hadn't seen my first go round, and because of Winn's background in English literature, and her tendency to carefully read almost every plaque in the exhibit, I learned more too!

For example, the "lighter" version of the crown used in the coronation ceremony is 5 pounds, and there's a very golden "grand punchbowl" used in the coronation feasts that can hold 244 bottles of wine and has a ladle made from a long, golden rod attached to a conch shell.
I could go on and on...
We also saw
more torture devices, including the rack and one that folds a person up till they pop called the Scavenger's Daughter.However, the highlight of my third visit was the Wakefield Tower--known throughout these parts as "the most haunted building in London!"
We toured around the few rooms where prisoners who were facing their executions had carved their own "graffiti" into the walls.
It was a bit sad and a bit spooky and there were definitely a few cold spots...but that was probably from the drafts spiraling up the staircase...or was it?
(Still can't explain those three red scratch marks across Winn's leg...)
After the gift shops, we stopped for some fish and chips. I
guess I'm a bit off the wagon--but it seemed rude to refuse after 2 previous visits--I a
m a regular now I guess. To round off the day, and work of some of the deep fry, we walked ourselves to St. Paul's--since it's kind of the only other attraction in the area. The place was huge, and we were too late to go inside, so we just took a few pictures and sat on the steps and tried to get the Mary Poppins bird-lady song out of our heads....still hasn't happened.On the way home, I decided to taste-test some treats in attempt to pinpoint the best variety to send home.
Three candy bars later, I decided that nothing beats the dark Kit-Kat...so far. I persevere.
No comments:
Post a Comment